A Letter from Mother at Christmas


Original post published 28th December 2013 on my blog http://genemeet.blogspot.co.uk/

I am fortunate to have in my personal collection a letter written by my great grandmother it was written on Christmas Eve and my grandfather would not have received it for several days at least.
As you can see it was sent to Portugal and it is likely that he would have read it after the Andes returned from its Argentine trip on the way home. see http://genemeet.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/across-sea-at-christmas.html



The above image is of the accompanying envelope with a postmark dated 25 Dec 27
It is addressed to Mr A Buckle Deck Dept, R.M.S.P Andes, ℅ Messrs James Rawes & Co, Rna Bernardino Costa 47, Lisbon Portugal.
The letter transcribes as
437 High Street Bitterne
My dear Albert just a few lines to you hope you are well we are well. but Len and me have been home all the week with a bad chill and bad throat.  we have had it very cold. now it is dirty and wet. I am writing this on Christmas Eve.
I am in doors all by myself. I have been to town in the afternoon and had a look round I was glad to get back for the town was crowded so I am having a quiet evening to my self Queen and Bet came down today they are all right but Queen have had a bad eye wee had a letter from Nelly to night. She says she is awful busy at the shop. I hope you will have a nice Christmas I expect we shall be Quiet on our own.
Charlie and Edie are still courting strong well now my dear I shall have to draw to a close with best love from Dad and Len to I must wish you a happy new year hope to see you soon so good bye love from your mother



Comments

Popular Posts